<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Friday, November 19, 2004
 
Hey, La Femme Blackita: Got Syrup?
Echoing sentiments previously expressed by Harry Belafonte, Wisconsin radio host John Slyvester ("Sly") has dubbed Colin Powell an "Uncle Tom." He also took it a bit further and threw the "Aunt Jemima" label Condi Rice's way. From the Wisconsin State Journal:

"I'm not apologizing for what I said," Sylvester said Thursday in an interview. "I stand by it....I was aiming that directly at a black person that is letting himself (and herself) be used by an administration that has been extremely hostile to minorities ....I don't think being subservient to white people and not blowing the whistle on their misdoings is a good role model at all....

I did call her the Aunt Jemima of the administration because I think not only have they used her race as a trophy, but I think her price of admission to the White House has been complete obedience to the white power structure in the White House," Sylvester said. "(And) I called (Powell) Uncle Tom. Frankly I think they bought his silence."
So, looks like there's some folks out there who aren't buying the La Femme Blackita handle that AofG giant Kramer is selling (see Comments here). But Aunt Jemima? That's pretty damn tough. Listen, I really would like to kill this Sly character, but I can't bring myself to do it. While I definitely think the use of such derogatory terms in public discourse is a bad thing, there's also something to be said for taking the gloves off, putting the p.c. bullshit aside and just letting things rip. Granted, he was probably looking for a ratings bounce, but at least he's done a decent job of articulating the reasons for his views. Do I think his comments were in poor form? No question. It's really not necessary to go there to make the point he was trying to make. That being said, if you're some irrelevant radio host, and want your point to be widely heard, I guess it's understandable. Can't kill him.
Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger