<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Tuesday, November 16, 2004
 
Bush on Condi: Hypocrisy & Ridiculousness
Just caught some of the president's comments on Condi Rice and this little beauty jumped out at me:

"As a girl in the segregated South, Dr. Rice saw the promise of America violated by racial discrimination and by the violence that comes from hate," Bush said. "But she was taught by her mother, Angelina, and her father, the Rev. John Rice, that human dignity is the gift of God and that the ideals of America would overcome oppression."
Maybe it's just me, but this seems to be a pretty clear indication that the president considered Rice's diverse background to be a noteworthy factor in choosing her to be Secretary of State. And here I thought that he was a steadfast opponent of diversity-based affirmative action. Silly me. In any event, can we characterize this as a flip-flop from the resolute one? Or should we just keep it simple and say the man is full of shit? I'm going with the latter.

Now that we've established that, let's move on to the other clear suggestion in Bush's statement -- also pretty high up there on the bullshit scale. That would be the not so subtle implication that the situation in Iraq is analogous to the situation in the Civil War South -- "But she was taught by her mother ... that the ideals of America would overcome oppression." Somehow, I'm thinking that the "freed Iraqis," don't feel quite as hunky dory about things as the freed slaves. But hey, like I said, maybe it's just me.
Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger