<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Tuesday, November 23, 2004
 
Ba-Rock Star

Click on me!

See that man standing at the podium at the far end of the room? That would be the future of American politics, drawing a crowd of well over 1,000 to a booksigning at the Union Square Barnes & Noble tonight.

I wasn't a fan of an Obama 2008 campaign - as energized as I was by his DNC keynote speech, I felt that, like John Edwards, he'd be knocked for his inexperience and be another good man made to look the fool by the right wing smear machine. Well, I'm sold. Sign me up. He can handle it. Take Hillary and any of the other unoriginal, establishment Democrats who want to make a push for more of the same crap and shove 'em down a flight of stairs.

The man is not ashamed of having a progressive voice or of his belief in government's ability to promote inclusiveness and make its constituent's lives better. Nor is he afraid to proclaim a belief in American exceptionalism. The most poignant moment for me tonight, particularly as a New Yorker, was a question that was asked about the roots of terrorism. Wihtout going in to too many details, the questioner clearly tried to lead Senator Obama into an answer of the easy, "Blame America" variety - Obama would have none of that. Instead, he focused on the economic and social causes of terrorism, while ackowledging that we need to do a better job as the world's leader in solving the problems posed.

He owned the room in a way that I've not seen since Clinton. He's the real deal and I'm going to be watching.
Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger