<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Monday, September 13, 2004
 
"You Do Not Have The G*ddamn Leads!"


OK, I just looked at the first in what I'm sure will be a long line of apartments, in my quest to find a new place by November 1 at the latest. As expected, it was beautiful, one of the best locations in the city, doorman building, newly remodeled, tons of closets, 5 minute commute. It also has a lovely view of a brick wall, about as much natural light as a 40-watt lightbulb could provide, only 700 cramped square feet and is at the absolute top end of my price range, not to mention the broker fee. The experience also served as my re-introduction, after a 6 year absence, to the rarified world of douchebag real estate brokers - I'm set to go out again this afternoon with another agent who seems completely disagreeable. Ah, the joys of New York real estate.

Here's the deal - my search has gone on for less than a day and I'm already frustrated. I'm looking at websites whose listings have one or more of the following problems: duplicate listings, hopelessly outdated listings, listings without pictures/floorplans, too many listings (according to the Times, there are apparently over 5,000 available apartments in the Village alone). I'm kind of getting overwhelmed, so I need your help. We've got a bunch of New Yorkers who read us, if anyone knows of a good broker who specializes in the rental market (that's another problem - with the sale market still pretty hot, nobody cares about rentals) or of good no-fee doorman buildings in the Gramercy/Lower 5th/West Village/SoHo areas, I'd be much obliged. Post suggestions in the Comments.


Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger