<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Thursday, July 29, 2004
 
Confession Time
I am probably the only guy in the country who will say this right now, but I relate alot more to John Kerry as a presidential candidate than John Edwards because I just don't like John Edwards,  I don't.  Well, let me restate that.  I don't like his politics.  Seeing him last night just reminded me of that.


I mean, he doesn't seem like a bad guy, personally.  He seems like he loves his wife and she adores him (she was crying when she was introducing him last night).  He overcame significant personal tragedy (his 16 year old son dying in a car accident).  His daughter went to Princeton, and she's kinda cute.  Good for him.  Most importantly, he makes Team Kerry much more competitive in alot of the swing states.

However, although he claims to represent "the middle" and be a "New Democrat", his politics are pure old-line Democratic liberalsim, and it scares the crap out of me.

  1. His "One America" campaign is unabashed class-baiting - nothing more.  It stinks of hokey popularism and old-line liberal Democratic policy. He is basically telling America that all your problems are caused by those rich guys over there who have more than you.  Last night he was talking about people being "barely able to pay the bills" instead of saving?  How is this anyone else's fault but their own.  Here's an idea.  If money is tight, buy less shit.  Drive an older car.  Drive less.  Clip a coupon.  It's not my fault you can't pay your bills, and I will be damned if I'm the guy whose gonna pay for them.  If he is not careful, it will alienate the one constituency that can really drive the outcome of a Kerry - Edwards, namely Wall St. Bond traders.  Clinton knew this, which is why this is never a message you would hear him touting.
  2. Trade Protectionism.  This NEVER works out for the best in the long run, ever.  I think this is a more important point than ever, with the recent growth in China and India.  The last thing America should do now is tighten its boarders to trade, we need move forward in the world economy as thought leaders, not economic isolationists.  Edwards' policy ideas for tax surcharges on Companies that "outsource" work overseas is overly simplistic and will blow up in our faces if it comes to fruition.  The fact of the matter is, most of the companies that have turned to overseas productions simply are not competitive if they retained their operations in the US.  Personally, I would rather have some jobs and some profit centers here, as opposed to driving them all overseas.  But that is just me.  Again, Clinton knew this.  What do you think NAFTA was all about?  Althought NAFTA is a "hot-button" issue in the swing states, it is a better policy for our country as a whole than the alternative, andit's better for our neighbors as well.
  3. "Good Ole Boy Charm".  A lot of people like this about Edwards, but it's a put on and it just comes off as smarmy to me.  He acts as if he's just a simple boy from a little town who used to sweep up in a mill.  Bullshit.  He was a cut-throat trial attorney and a hard charging Senator. 
  4. He looks more than a little bit like "Chucky" from the Child's Play Movies.  I just can't get behind that.

Anyway, I say, bring on the main event tonight.  I hope Kerry makes the speech of his life and doesn't come off stiff and wonky.  I think he really needs a good push-off tonight to make the past three days of love-fest mean something in the long run.





Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger