<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Tuesday, June 22, 2004
 
Jon Stewart, Why Must You Be So Dreamy?


I watched the TIVO of last night's Daily Show and in a matter of five short minutes, they managed to cut through much of the garbage and spin that has been coming from the vicinity of the White House this past week. Much has been blogged elsewhere so I'll leave it be.

The guest on the show was Stephen F. Hayes, author of a timely book called "The Connection", detailing the supposed ties between the Hussein regime and Al Qaeda. Most of his book is based on intelligence coming from Douglas Feith's memo to the Senate Intelligence Committee from last year, which was leaked to The Weekly Standard and put forth as the foolproof link between Saddam and Al Qaeda. One problem: much of the intelligence in that memo had already been dismissed or contradicted by overwhelming intelligence to the contrary. (the story I link to also discusses the long since discredited notion of Atta meeting with Iraqi agents in Prague, the meeting that Cheney still says we can't prove didn't happen). Seems tough to write a scholarly tome based on a memo that was eventually found to be a one-sided piece of propoganda by just about everyone last year, no?

In a bit of a departure, Jon Stewart really took him on and made him look like a fool, you really have to see it to believe it. Here was my favorite part, on the Bush Doctrine of preemption:
Hayes: I think the idea, I think the idea behind the Bush Doctrine is that if you support or harbor terrorists, um, we are gonna come after you. We'll consider you a hostile regime. I don't think that, frankly, in the aftermath of September 11, I really don't think that's an unreasonable doctrine.

Stewart: Here's the problem: it's not unreasonable, but it's not the point. The point is, I'm gonna, I'll list you four things: developing weapons of mass destruction, inflammatory rhetoric against the United States, uh, supporting and harboring terrorism, uh, and, uh, oppression of their own people. Now here's the problem with your doctrine: you can't tell me what country I just named. And that's a problem when you're talking about war.

Hayes: That is a problem when you're talking about war (as loud applause starts up)

Stewart: That's, that's, that seems like the issue, because you don't know if I'm talking about Iraq, Iran, North Korea, or Sudan.

Hayes: No, I think that's a good point, but I think on the other hand, Iraq, in this case, presented a unique threat...

Stewart: Why?

Hayes: ... precisely because of its weapons of mass destruction, because of its demonstrated use of weapons of mass destruction...

Stewart: Iran has done the same

Hayes: ... they've used weapons of mass destruction...

Stewart: Yes

Hayes: When have they used weapons of mass destruction?

Stewart: In the Iran-Iraq War, they both were mustard gassing back and forth

Hayes: Well that's, yeah, that's one theory. I don't think that that's been shown. But in any case...

Stewart (jokingly): Well, you're no one to talk about what's been shown...
God, I love that man. Oh yeah, it has been show that Iran used WMDs, and it took Google a whopping 0.55 seconds to help me prove it.
Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger