<$BlogRSDURL$>
The Airing of Grievances
Thursday, April 08, 2004
 
Thurston Moore, guitarist from Sonic Youth has an editorial in, unbelievably enough, today's New York Times (free subscription required) to mark the 10th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's suicide. A good read, if only for the juxtapositon of a downtown noise rocker writing an article for the Gray Lady. Sonic Youth not only influenced Nirvana, they themselves would probably attribute much of the moderate commercial success that they enjoyed in the mid 90s to Nirvana's not-so-subtle endorsement.

As much as I loved Nirvana, the hoopla around Cobain's suicide rang hollow with me, particularly the casting of him as some kind of spokesperson for his, and my, generation. I'm no prude, but I still like my spokespeople to be a little less gaunt and heroin-addled. Still, I miss the music that he would have made.
Comments-[ comments.]

Powered by Blogger